Danfoss has introduced the VACON 3000 a brand-new modular drive solution that brings high performance to medium-voltage (MV) applications.
Medium-voltage drive solutions are ideal for applications in segments such as Mining, Marine, Oil and Gas, Energy and Metals. Within these segments, you will find similar applications and similarly driven equipment as in the low-voltage (LV) drives market, but those that have a greater need for power, or where long motor cables are required in the application. These applications are, amongst others, propulsion, pumps, blowers, fans, conveyors, ball mills, compressors, extruders, mixers, centrifuges, excavators, test stands and soft starters for large DOL motors.
In these segments, energy-saving awareness is also growing, which increases the use of both LV drives and MV drives.
The VACON 3000 is a modular drive solution that is designed to meet the specific needs of industrial applications with motor voltages of 3300 or 4160 Volts. It enables the complete customization of the enclosure to serve the unique needs of a variety of applications, including those with limited space and in harsh conditions. It is currently available in a power range between 2 MW and 6 MW.
As an easy-to-integrate drive solution, the VACON 3000 features:
- Simple to build in, easy-to-handle inverter units that are compact, robust, and liquid-cooled making the VACON 3000 ideal for adverse ambient conditions. Single-phase modules with a grounded heatsink simplify the solution’s serviceability as no deionized cooling water is necessary
- Flexible front-end configuration options, including a diode front-end (DFE)-based 12-pulse configuration, and an active front end (AFE) option for regenerative braking and low harmonics
- A familiar, fully graphical user interface (the same one as the VACON 100 INDUSTRIAL drive) for faster setup and use, and with the latest technology built in and a wide choice of control options
- Passive components for the drive system, including L, C and common mode filters for AFE variants, DC chokes for 12-pulse variants and output dU/dt and sine filters
- A simplified pre-charge unit design: a compact solution for space-sensitive applications that needs no pre-charging resistors and limits the inrush current for fast, safe start-up
Basic configurations have a power of 2 MW or 3 MW. To provide the user and system integrator with design flexibility, those configurations can be paralleled for systems of 4 MW and 6 MW.